Sweet Sausage, Artichoke, Asparagus & Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
My husband was away for 5 days at school and since he usually surprises me with yummy breakfasts and dinners, I decided to surprise him with dinner last night!
I had a couple ingredients that I wanted to use, so I threw together a concoction and I would say it turned out pretty darn good!
- 1 tube lean turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 8 oz of brown rice penne past/gluten free (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 stalk asparagus (trim the ends of the spear where the tender part is, and cut into 3’s)
- 1/2 cup chopped artichokes (I got them already chopped in a jar with oil and seasoning and I do not drain it)
- 1 small jar (3-4 oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, or use 3-4 oz fat-free sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes jar (or EVOO)
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoon of Avocado Oil (or EVOO)
- Himalayan salt to taste
- In a medium pan, add tube of sausage, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and 1 tablespoon EVOO. Cook for 5 minutes, breaking apart into small pieces. After 5 minutes, add pure maple syrup and cook for another 5 minutes on medium high.
- In a large pan, on high heat, sautee garlic, onion, mushrooms, basil, sun-dried tomatoes (drained from oil) in 2 tablespoons of oil (reserved from the sun-dried tomatoes jar for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the rest of vegetables (asparagus, each sprig cut into 3 slices, and artichoke, sprinkle with a small amount of Himalayan salt, and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until they soften just a little (you still want the asparagus to have a bit of crunch). Also add the sausage mix with vegetables. Mix all together. Add 2 tablespoons of Avocado oil and cook for 2 minute.
- Bring a large pan with water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water (to stop cooking).
- Place serving of pasta on plate, then add 1 serving of sausage and vegetable mix to top off pasta.