Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato
I have been trying to come up with new healthy recipes and I wanted one with protein AND the carbs!! Yes, sorry Keto friends, but this girl likes her healthy carbs for brain power and energy! As I have been meal prepping with my instant pot and air fryer, I decided to use both to make this recipe, although you can simply use a crock pot or oven if you do not have these tools to cook with! So I hope you like Mexican because this meal is DELICIOUS- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato!
This is a meal that I am using for lunch and/or dinner while I am following the LIIFT4 home fitness program! I am 7 weeks in this 8 week program, and the results are coming! Always keep in mind, nutrition is a huge part of your results!
- 4 medium size sweet potatoes (rinsed and poke a few holes with knife)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 8 oz jar salsa (you can use any brand)
- 4 oz chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped jalepenos
- 1 TBSP Extra virgin olive oil
- Dash Himalayan Salt or Sea salt
Directions For Sweet Potatoes in Air fryer:
- Sprinkle potatoes with the extra virgin olive oil & Himalayan salt, then rub evenly on the potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are coated place them into the basket for the Air Fryer and place into the machine.
- Cook your potatoes at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
*If you do not have an air fryer, simply follow step 1, then set each potato on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 45-50 min or until fork tender.
Directions for Instant Pot Salsa Chicken:
- Place 1/2 cup water in pot.
- Add chicken and salsa.
- Cook for 12 minutes on poultry.
- Shred chicken and mix together so salsa is throughout chicken.
*If you do not have an Instant pot, you can add water and chicken to crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken, then add salsa
To finish Stuffing sweet potatoes:
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, let cool down some, then slice vertically and open potato (do not cut through the whole way).
- Add chicken to center of potato
- Top off with tomatoes and jalepenos and any other toppings you want to use!
*Some extra toppings you can add:
- Plain Greek yogurt as sour cream
- shredded cheese