Cinco De Mayo was here and I have been wanting to make some sort of healthy alternative to a Mexican meal… because we all know not all Mexican food is healthy despite having some veggies on top!
So I put together this dish that was so so good!! Very simple to make, and it’s a healthy dish that the whole family will love!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken.)
- 14 oz. your favorite salsa (I prefer fresh if possible)
- ½ cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste, as needed
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used a block of Kolby Jack and shredded it myself since shredded cheese has some extra ingredients that are not so healthy).
- Optional garnish; diced avocado, tomato and fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and prepare an 8×8 or 2 to 2½ quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice or quinoa, chicken, soup or salsa, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese. Bake uncovered until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.
Feel free to eat all by itself in a dish and if you like sour cream, add 1 tbsp of plain Greek Yogurt as a healthy alternative! You can also use this as a dip with whole grain tortilla chips!
- 1 lbs shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 cups of low sodium Chicken broth (1 cup put off to side)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans (rinse before adding in)
- 1 bag frozen corn (I get steam fresh)
- 2 cups fresh salsa (or favorite brand)
- 8 oz. Mexican Cheese blend
- 5 oz Queso Fresco crumbled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground pepper (or cracked)
Additional Toppings of your choice:
- Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream– don’t worry, it tastes just fine) 🙂
- Chopped tomatoes
- Combine all the ingredients from first list – except 4 ounces of shredded cheese and 1 cup of chicken broth – in a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining broth and shredded cheese over the ingredients.
- Cover with a lid and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours, or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Enjoy and serve with your favorite toppings!
If you know me, you know I am slightly addicted to nachos!! I just can’t help myself sometimes!! So today I was in the mood, but instead of going and having a big cheat, I decided to make a healthier, cleaner version of my steak nachos!!
PS.. This takes about 5 minutes to make if you go George Foreman route!
- 2 cups organic blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups lean steak cubes (I cooked on George Foreman)
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh guacamole (purchase at the grocery store or make your own! CLICK for home made guacamole recipe)
- 1/8 cup jalepenos
- 1/8 cup Plain Greek Yogurt- Use this as a healthy alternative for sour cream!
- Place chips on bottom of plate
- Add ingredients according to how you like
Nothing like a little clean dinner for the family!! When I’m eating dinner, I already have my carbs in so I stick to pretty much high lean protein, complex carbs such as veggies, and healthy fats. So, instead of having a wrap, I substituted Romaine Heart lettuce leaves!
This is perfect for people who are short with time and do not have hours to cook dinner! Easy, quick, & yummy!! 🙂
Southwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Servings 6 wraps
- 1 lb lean ground turkey meat
- 1 packet low sodium medium taco seasoning
- 1% Shredded Cheese 1/4 cup
- 1 cup Fresh Salsa
- 1 cup Homemade Clean Guacamole
- Romaine Heart leaves (6)
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (to replace sour cream)
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- Cook lean turkey burger on skillet on medium high with 1 tbsp EVOO until fully cooked. Add taco seasoning and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add ingredients to lettuce wraps as desired
21 DAY FIX BREAKDOWN:
*If you would like more daily tips, recipes, support and motivation, I would love to help you reach your ultimate goals! Since I have been through the journey myself, I can give you my tips and tools that helped my overcome my struggles!
We will incorporate a home fitness program of your choice with Beachbody, along with clean eating, and adding Shakeology
once a day in place of any meal you prefer. Shakeology
is not a weight loss shake or a protein shake. What is does provide us with is all your dense nutrition your body needs daily that we are not getting from our every day typical foods. You will get 70+ natural ingredients and superfoods and all your vitamins and minerals. As you fuel your body with the proper nutrients, you will find yourself having less cravings for sweets and and unhealthy foods and more of the clean foods! Shakeology
also has a great protein to carb ratio which then helps you stay fuller longer!
I suggest eating every 3 hours and 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going strong throughout the day! I also help you with meal planning and meal prepping so you are saving time and money throughout the week!
Please fill out the application below for a chance to be in my next fitness challenge! I will contact you with in the next 24 hours! Can’t wait to help you get started!!