My hubby and I were making a meal plan for the week and were thinking of different recipes that we can have as a family! My hubs suggested I make “Dirty Red Beans and Rice”…. and I had NO idea what this was… so I did some research and it sounded pretty interesting! I found a recipe and then hubs decided to add something else.. Kielbasa!! So we went for it, and it turned out really really good!!!
Hope you guys can make this and enjoy it yourself!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white or purple onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup brown rice cooked according to package
- 1 package of turkey Kielbasa (chopped)
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook Kielbasa for approx. 5 min or untilslightly brown on each side. Set aside
- Sauté the onion and red bell pepper for about 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften slightly.
- Add the rice, cajun seasoning and garlic powder, stirring until the rice is slightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth and stir until combined. Bring mixture to a slight boil. Add beans, stir, then reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir to fluff the rice. Serve warm. Enjoy!